birding-aus

Request for information

To: "Jim Davis" <>
Subject: Request for information
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:17:58 +1100
Hi Jim,

Re: nesting associations between different species of birds.

Some years ago while participating in the Nest Record Scheme I found a
Brown Thornbills' nest which was 4 metres from a White-browed Scrubwrens'
nest (both close to the ground). Each nest contained three young, but the
scrubwrens were older and disappeared from the nest (fledged or predated?)
one week before the thornbills fledged. The interesting thing was that when
I approached on the first day after the scrubwren nestlings had gone, the
adult scrubwrens were very vocal in defending both their own empty nest AND
the thornbills' nest. When I checked on the thornbills' nest, both species
became agitated and started "zizzing" at me! After quickly checking the
nests I retreated so as not to cause any more distress.

I'm not sure if this is a common breeding association. However when they
are not breeding these two species always visit my garden together.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba NSW