birding-aus

Powerful Owls near Lorne

Subject: Powerful Owls near Lorne
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:43:35 +1100
Hi all

While showing an English visitor around the district last Saturday (8th April) we had the good fortune to find a pair of Powerful Owls near Lorne. They were sitting in a relatively small tree - almost a sapling - about 4 metres above the ground. This was at about 3 pm, and I guess they'd been there for a while. I'll have a look at the first opportunity to see if I can relocate them - do PO's favour a particular tree, or do they just frequent an area for a while?

Another interesting sighting earlier in the day was a Bassian Thrush at Ironbark Basin. I haven't seen them here before. There was also a fairly large party of Varied Sitella - probably 15 or more birds, observed at very close range near the carpark; and more White-eared Honeyeaters than I'd seen in one area before - every second bird seemed to be a WEHE.

Russell
Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Manager

Phone   03 52 739 237