birding-aus

Lighten-up everyone!

Subject: Lighten-up everyone!
From: "Chris Presland" <>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 14:41:45 +1000
I can share an experience from this week:

Driving the back roads from Nowra to Cooma via Braidwood (SE NSW) and back on
Wednesday and Thursday for work this week yielded some good sightings from a
few 5 min
stops at various locations, including:

Flame Robin - my first ever sighting, a very spectacular male. I only spotted
the one male with
7-8 females.

A flock of 10 Wedge Tailed Eagles, just NE of Cooma.

A male Lyrebird in a tree 4 m above ground, giving my best ever views, calling
a repetitive
zzzeeeet to another bird close by. I flushed a fox from the base of a tree,
which I guess was why it was in the tree.

Between Sassafras and the coast the scrub was alive with honeyeaters,
predominantly Yellow Faced, New Holland and Noisy Friarbirds, but also 10 Musk
Lorikeets and Gang Gangs close
by, heard but not seen.

Glimpses of Grey Currawongs a couple of times at 80kph, which are also new to
me.

A very enjoyable drive, but a bit of extra time no doubt would have resulted in
some more great
sightings. There is some excellent country through here.

On the topic of lists, more specifically - unusual gaps in our list,
flicking through Pizzey the other night I noticed that there is only one
bowerbird that neither my wife Heidi or havn't seen, and it is the Regent
Bowerbird. Not that
we have actively chased it without success, but we have managed to stumbled
across all
the other bowerbirds in our travels, which did include staking out the Golden
Bowerbird in the
rain on Mt Lewis a couple of years ago.

Cheers and happy birding

Chris Presland