birding-aus

RE: ultrataxa

To: 'Lawrie Conole' <>,
Subject: RE: ultrataxa
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:22:56 +1000
We're already changing our life lists??
When I first placed a list of Schodde and Masons (1999) proposed lumps and
splits I add the following to the end of the posting
' I understand the proposed changes now have to survive the scrutiny and
opinion
of other experts. If they receive widespread support they stand as are, if
they are disputed things may change again (nothing's set in concrete). The
take home message for people with an interest in bird watching (in any one
of it's many forms) is to identify and record birds to recognizable forms
(rather than just the currently accepted species level) wherever possible.'

My knowledge of S & M (1999) is that it includes new (mostly phenotypic)
research and as such it does still need to survive the scrutiny and opinion
of other experts. In S & M's (1999) case this is made difficult because
quite a lot of information typically provided in taxonomic revisions is not
available in the text. For example while sample sizes are given, in most
cases we don't know which actual specimens were examined, likewise, while
the readers is informed of plumage differences between proposed ultra-taxa,
summaries of data and analysis are not currently available. In fairness,
they do say this information is just postponed and will appear in future
electronic updates. Nevertheless it is currently unavailable. With this in
mind I'm simply uncomfortable with it's widespread adoption (see discussion
on Albatross taxonomy in the archive for a parallel) before the provision of
more data and the test of (at least some) time.

This type of taxonomic work is I understand, fundamentally different to
works such as Christidis and Boles (1994). C & B (1994) doesn't include new
research, but rather reviews past taxonomic works and based on all (peer
reviewed) published information (including summaries of data etc) arrives at
conclusions as to the most plausible taxonomy. To include S & M (1999) in a
review of a similar fashion would be difficult at the moment because of the
lack of data. Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing S & M (1999) have it wrong,
indeed many of their lumps and splits are not new proposals at all, but
rather are taxonomies traveling down that path of scrutiny and opinion by
other experts (in this case S & M are providing the scrutiny and additional
opinion). The Short-tailed Grasswren is one such example where published
opinion on its specific status previously existed (e.g. Christidis, L (1999)
Evolution and biogeography of the Australian grasswrens, Amytornis
(Aves:Maluridae): biochemical perspectives Australian Journal of Zoology,
47, 2 (1999): 113-124).

Having said this S & M (1999) remains a valuable work (I understand it's the
first attempt to catalogue all subspecies (ultrataxon) since Mathews early
last century) that will raise awareness, encourage more careful scrutiny
both in the field and in the museum tray and promote debate for years to
come.

regards

Rohan

Rohan Clarke