birding-aus

RE: cattle egrets

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: RE: cattle egrets
From: David Geering <>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:11:23 +1000
Richard

You are right about northern NSW and southern Qld being colonised first -
from the mid 1950's.  The stock probably originated from the Top End, or
directly from Asia.  The origins of the north Qld birds is more likely from
the same original source.

We tagged about 2000 Cattle Egrets a year over 5 years from 1990 (the period
I was working full time on them at Shortland Wetlands Centre) and about 500
to 800 a year from 1983 to 1990 (when I was doing it on my own time).  We
did have some birds move north but generally no more than a few hundred
kilometres compared with the 1000 to 1500 km southward covered by most other
birds (it is far more complex than this but I don't have time to go into it
now).  Birds generally returned to their natal colony or, a smaller, number
to a nearby colony.  We did, however, have a fair number of birds breed at
distant colonies although these were generally colonies to the south of
their place of birth.  We had two birds breed in colonies 500 km to the
north of their natal colony.  On this basis I would suggest that even the
Bundaberg Cattle Egrets were unlikely to travel north.  Bear in mind that
the country changes at that point, to the south is almost continuous prime
Cattle Egret country.  This is not to say they don't, it is just unlikely.
Supporting this is the number of tagged Intermediate Egrets we have had
reported from central and north Qld.  If there were tagged Cattle Egrets
moving north I would expect them to be also reported.

I really enjoyed my work on Cattle Egrets, glad to be keeping my feet dry
now though.

Cheers

David