birding-aus

Newhaven et al

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Newhaven et al
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:17:50 +1100
I did provide money for Gluepot but I do have my doubts about the wisdom of
private purchase. My own organisation, the National Parks Association of NSW
(to which I am Hon Secretary) has spent its whole existence fighting for a
public national park system.
I know that the status of the title does not affect the quality of the
reserve and that it is the management regime that is important (so long as a
reserve is managed according to the best level of IUCN category possible,
especially categories 1-4) but in this era of government retreat from
service provision I do wonder if the actions of Birds Australia are not an
excuse for even this area to be the target of privatisation.
Let us not yet condemn those who question the purchase of properties by
Birds Australia. I am pleased that an area can be protected but still hope
that it is not at the cost of public reserve systems across the country.
Brian Everingham
Hon Secretary
National Parks Association of NSW
National Parks Association of NSW