birding-aus

Hastings, Victoria

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Hastings, Victoria
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:11:33 -0800 (PST)
Oh that call that tugs at my heart,
It's a gentle warble sound,
That just tears me apart,
Nowadays their is no other,
At home, for which I care,
Except he that dances better then Fred Astaire,

He came to me from his fire ravaged nest,
Together we get along and do our best,
It's a big learning curve for us both, you know?,
Him sprouting feathers as I watch him grow,
He'll be my son, my one and only,
Could play him on the wing he'd be no phoney,
Him in his own colours, his black and white vest,
Puffing up his down to fill his chest.

G'day all,
If you draw a line on a street map from Hastings pier
to the library ( intersection of Salmon and High
Streets ) from there draw another line to Mullet
Street, from Mullet Street to the Marina complex and
back to the pier, about a 2 square mile area, then
here is what I saw.

9 Pacific gull,
11 Pelican,
oodles and numerous Silver gull,
6 Masked lapwing,
2 Short tailed shearwater
Many Australasian Gannet on the sand bank to left of
the jetty ( pier )
1 Black-Faced Cormorant
2 ( wandering around in the mangroves ) Sooty
Oystercathers
7 Crested tern
2 Cattle Egret ( just off Mullet Street )
2 Little Wattlebird ( in bushes close to the library )
1 Black faced Cuckoo-Shrike ( saying goodbye as he
flew north? )
many and many Grey Butcher-Bird,
23 Australian White Ibis.
8 Australian Raven
Tra La, my first in quite a while, Black-shouldered
Kite.

Outside this zone and in cemetary road just off
bayview road less then 3 feet from the sealed road
surface 2 hooded plover????????

Plus my normal home visitors of Eastern Rosella's,
Rainbow Lorikeet, Galah's, Tree sparrows, Common Myna,
Spotted Turtle Dove, and those imports.

Not bad for a 3 hour walk eh.

JAG