birding-aus

birds and windows

Subject: birds and windows
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:38:06 EST
Hello all,

There are some great examples of birds and their love for windows, and recently the good old Kookaburra has beengetting a go. Have an interesting one also.

Since moving to Deniliquin I have become involved in small group of guys who twice a week play squash at the local RSL. Since I started playing I have noticed that not only are we regular atteneders, but so to is a Kookaburra who has an addiction for one of the windows. Nearly every time that we are there this Kooka comes down, tands in front of the window and starts to beat out a tune. The window is tinted and from the outside acts close enough to a true mirror. I don't know what sort of feeling a kookaburra has at the end of its beak, but when after a good ten minutes to half an hour you would think that pain would be on the agenda.

I thought one day that I'd go outside and attempt to help this bird with its addiction. It was so intent on beating a tune that it didn't pay any attention to me. Mindless to say that my attampt failed for as soon as I had moved the bird away and started to walk back inside it flew back in and started on its merry old way again.

Any way, thought people may be interested / amused.

David