birding-aus

Birds striking glass

Subject: Birds striking glass
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:58:44 +1000
Daniel Klem wrote:

Dear Colleagues and All Others Interested in Bird Conservation:
I am an ornithologist who has studied the hazardous effects of glass

on birds for over 25 years. Fundamentally, birds simply do not see glass
as a barrier and frequently injure or kill themselves striking window
panes in homes and other buildings. I have for some time been
conducting a world survey on what bird species have been seen striking
glass,
and I write now to request you share with me any records you might
posses
of bird-glass collisions.

Well actually, we have a different situation, where a pair of peewees
have been constantly attacking one of our windows - they can see their
reflection and keep flying feet first at the window.  Both sexes seem to
do it, and they set up a pattern where they shuttle to-and-from the
clothes line.  They do a reasonable job of thumping the window and
sometimes leave "skid" marks.

As for birds killing themselves, a graceful honeyeater did that while I
was staying at a place near Cairns in December.

Regards, Laurie.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"