birding-aus

Otway trip

To: "" <>
Subject: Otway trip
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:19:12 +1100
Hi All,

Just got back from spending 3 days at Barramunga Cabins in Barramunga,
in the Otway Ranges. 11 of us went for a relaxation trip mostly, but we
were able to get some walks and birding in. It is a beautiful setting of
3 cabins on one hectare, set amongst cool temperate forest. In the
mornings and evenings we were befriended by many Crimson Rosellas and
best of all King Parrots, who were non-plussed by us and fed from the
hand!, what an experience!. They also have a male resident Satin
Bowerbird with bower very close by and we even had a female take seed
and fruit from the feeder! quite elusive though and fascinating growls
and buzzes it makes. Other highlights were seeing Crested Shrike-Tit's
again so soon and watching them tear away the bark, hearing a Southern
Boobook's mournful "mo-poke" at 3am on the first wonderfully clear
night, the infrequent visits from pairs of majestic Yellow-Tailed Black
Cockatoo's, and marvelling at the awesome spectacle which is the
Mountain Ash. I would recommend this place to anyone interested in the
natural world! - and inexpensive.

Cheers,

Mark Kliene.

P.S. I am taking more of an interest in nocturnal birds.Apparently in
times gone by the Barking Owl could be heard occasionally, but rarely
now. Why would this be if the natural habitat has been relatively
untouched in that area? and where in reasonable proximity to Melbourne
could i possibly hear or even sight one? i would appreciate any and all
pointers/suggestions. Thanks.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"