birding-aus

White-throated Needletails rain or not.

To: "birding-aus" <>, "Mike Tarburton" <>, "cog-l" <>
Subject: White-throated Needletails rain or not.
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:54:41 +1000
Re occurrence pattern of White-throated Needletails.
As most of you would know from my writings on this line, I have 17 years
continuous data from Garden Bird Survey in Canberra. This comprises 1101
observer years of data. (No, White-throated Needletails are not garden birds
here, they are common over this area from January and peak in numbers in
March with very few by April). I had thought of doing a simple four way
statistical test comparing weeks over the 17 years using data presumably
available from the meteorology bureau. Weeks with rain / not with rain and
Weeks with swifts / not with swifts. Obviously the scale is rather broad,
though it may work. Summer rain in Canberra is usually storm associated and
generally discrete, by that I mean, we have long periods that are dry and
hot and short discrete periods of wet weather in summer. This would involve
a fair bit of effort but isn't difficult. All the data is computerised.
Would anyone be interested in this line? Does anyone in Canberra wish to
volunteer to do it?
Of course there are biases, I for one, normally go out at least once an hour
when I am home, to scan the sky for 20 seconds, when the weather looks
appropriate (find good raptors that way too).
PV.