birding-aus

Swifts

Subject: Swifts
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:38:19 +1100
It seems Sunday 5th March was a good day for White-throated Needletails
over a large area. David Geering wrote of several groups seen that day
between Sydney and Dubbo. Here in Katoomba I also saw needletails at
10.30am on Sunday, flying around the Carrington Hotel's tall chimney where
a Peregrine Falcon was perching at the time - how wonderful to have these
two species in my binoculars at the same time, from my front doorstep! It's
the first time I've seen swifts flying in the mist - a risky business, I
would imagine.

I was also told of a group of about 50 needletails seen at Scheyville
(north-west of Sydney) on that day.

Then, about 2.30pm, wild thunderstorms arrived in the mountains with
torrential rain, and lasting most of the afternoon. I have read the recent
postings on birding-aus suggesting the absence of a connection between
swifts and stormy weather. Perhaps an association with weather applies only
to large or widespread flocks.

By the way, our resident Peregrine is often seen on the Carrington chimney
in the centre of Katoomba, especially when the weather is a bit misty or
changing.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets