birding-aus

RFI: Red-chested Button-quail

Subject: RFI: Red-chested Button-quail
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:06:34 +1100
Hi Birding-Aus-ers

At various times last year I posted information to this list about my
sightings of Red-chested Button-quails in River Red Gum woodland at
Gunbower Island on the Murray River in Victoria.  I know that various
people visited Gunbower with or without specific instructions from me,
and that many were successful in seeing the birds.

I'm now at the point of writing a short paper on the occurrence of RCBQ
in this 'atypical' habitat, and on various other snippets of information
I gleaned from watching them in 1999-2000.

My request for information goes out to anyone who visited Gunbower
Island over the last year looking for RCBQ.  Would you please forward
any sightings and details (precise location [by GPS if possible], date,
time of day, numbers, behaviour, etc.) to me by return e-mail (not via
the list).  I'm also interested in any other observations of RCBQ from
forest/woodland environments in other states.  Any observations of RCBQ
making platelets would be of interest too (HANZAB makes no mention of
this practice by RCBQs).  I'll acknowledge your contributions in
anything I write on the subject.

Thanks in anticipation

Lawrie

--