birding-aus

NEWCASTLE AREA (HUNTER REGION, NSW) - 5th March 2000

To: <>
Subject: NEWCASTLE AREA (HUNTER REGION, NSW) - 5th March 2000
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 09:29:23 +1000

Today, myself and Steven Edwards had quite a productive day birding in the Newcastle Area (150 km north of Sydney) with the 2 main highlights of the day being some Freckled Ducks and a Yellow Wagtail. Places visited are as follows:

ASH ISLAND (about 15km west of the city of Newcastle - Lots of waterbirds present, especially in the wetland north of the railway line which I only had found out after Trevor Quested mentioned to me last weekend, where he had seen some Freckled Ducks (great work Trevor). Here we saw a bonanza of waterbirds - 5 Freckled Ducks (only one male bird had red at the base of the bill, the others were either females or non-breeding males), 4 Pink-eared Ducks, 15 plus Wandering Whistling-ducks, 10 plus Australasian Shoveler, a Musk Duck, a Hoary-headed Grebe in breeding plumage, hundreds of Chestnut and Grey Teal, 4 Marsh Sandpiper, Greenshanks, aswell as Pied stilts and Australian Pelican in their hundreds. Also at Ash Island were 7 species of raptor - White-bellied Sea-eagle (a pair honking like a goose on a telegraph pole with one of the adults feeding something clasped in its talons. Another immature Sea-Eagle was also seen flying above the 2 adults), an Immature Brown Goshawk (seen flying very low over weed growth and perched on a low bush), a juv. Marsh Harrier, Whistling Kites, 2-3 Black-shouldered Kites, 1 Australian Hobby and 1-2 Australian Kestrel.

Around the wetland, south of the railway line, we saw 3 Double-banded plovers (juv./non-breeding birds), some White-fronted Chats (with some fledged young) and a stunning Yellow Wagtail in breeding plumage (of the race simillima). The Yellow Wagtail was seen about the same spot along the main cause way, were 7 were present 2 years ago. Ash Island may prove in time to be a regular locality for them for NSW. Here we also bumped into John Duranti and Dean Portelli (arriving after some hard work in helping band 300 Goulds Petrel chicks on Cabbage Tree Island, a little further north - well done guy's) and sighted the Yellow Wagtail just before we bumped into it.

STOCKTON - Here we were disappointed (just as my last visit to this area), to see few waders close at hand. However we did see a Mangrove Heron, a Rufous Night Heron (flying from the mangroves), 4 Pied Oystercatcher, and 5-6 Mangrove Gerygones with one or 2 young birds with yellow eye rings and singing away with their melodious calls. Amongst a flock of about 30 Pacific Golden Plovers were 2 birds in full or almost full breeding plumage, all dressed up for Eastern Siberia

On the edge of Newcastle heads, were thousands of Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, either on the water or circling about with a few Terns and Silver Gulls. A dark-phase Arctic Jaeger harassing some Silver gulls near a small fishing boat was also great to see. Inside the harbour were over a hundred Common Tern, and atleast 10-15 (possibly more) White-winged Black Terns, either roosting on the rocks with Crested Terns and Silver Gulls, fishing in the middle of the harbour, or heading out to sea. Some of the White-winged Black Terns were acquiring their stunning breeding plumage with mottled black on the belly, black underwing linings, darker back and white shoulders. In about 2 weeks time, some will be in full breeding dress.

On our way back to Sydney, we stopped briefly at Seaham Nature Reserve, were a few Cattle Egrets still had young in the nest. The majority of the Cattle Egrets present there a few months ago, however have already disappeared. We were disappointed to find Tarro Swamp (with lots of waterbirds present a month ago - refer to my previous report) all dried up and abandoned by the water birds.

Edwin Vella