birding-aus

Milburn and albatross taxonomy

Subject: Milburn and albatross taxonomy
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 12:19:26 +1100 (EST)
I write as one who is certainly NOT one of the Squidivore Cognescenti,
though I am able to follow and appreciate a taxonomic argument. I'm not
going to waste your time with any opinions I may have on the substance of
the argument, which are not worth much in this context.

Rather I would like to voice my appreciation of Milburn's clear, elegant and
courteously restrained espousal of the issues. We could all learn from it;
were we to do so, birding-aus would be a more valuable (and enjoyable) forum
than it sometimes is.

It is I think a mark of civilisation, not to mention good science, that we
can disagree, even passionately, with a contrary view, while retaining
respect for the person espousing that view.

Thanks Milburn - and I'll work on understanding better the munchers of
tentacles!

Ian
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 02 6249 1560  fax: 02 6247 3227
---

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"