birding-aus

Late report on Capertee Valley

To: <>
Subject: Late report on Capertee Valley
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:55:18 +1100
A week ago (Sunday 20th Feb 2000), myself, Lorne Johnson, Steven Edwards and Josh went birding in the Capertee Valley (about 3 hours drive west of Sydney and north of Lithgow). As usual for this time of year fewer birds were active - many Rufous Songlarks were about but none were singing as they did last Spring. The highlights for the day were a flock of Plum-headed Finches at the regular spot in the paddock with tree plantations at the corner of Crown station Rd and Capertee Rd's aswell as a single Musk Lorikeet in the grounds of the Glen Davis Museum (this is the first I've see in the valley - has anybody seen them there before?). There were lots of Diamond Firetails about and in one paddock, just a little east of the town of Capertee, we were impressed to see about 3 pairs of Hooded Robins and saw another pair at Glen Alice. In the same paddock we also observed closeby, a Little Eagle alight amongst a bunch of Eucalypts and believed that there was a nest around as a young Eagle seemed to have been calling for some time where the adult landed. However, we could not further investigate this as it was private property. We also saw a pair of Brown Falcons (one very dark bird like a Black Falcon with a more chochlate brown bird) and Peregrine Falcon flying about the cliff face at Glen Davis. A few Scarlet Honeyeaters were still about, but surprisingly only females were seen!!!.

Last Sunday, I reallly enjoyed the Wollongong pelagic and managed to score a lifer - TAHITI PETREL!!!. A very smart looking bird. It was one bird I anticipated to see on the day, and that Sunday was my lucky day. These trips are still fantastic just as much as the past winter ones - refer Tony Palliser's report for more details.

Edwin