birding-aus

Australian bird calls in movie "Congo"

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Australian bird calls in movie "Congo"
From: David Stewart <>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:49:04 +1100
Birding-ausers

Last night (18 Feb) I watched the movie "Congo" on Channel 7. Fairly early
in the film I thought I heard a Noisy Pitta outside, then I realised it was
in the film. Other Australian species I heard were Australian Magpie,
Laughing Kookaburra, Masked Lapwing, Whistling Kite, Olive Whistler. There
was at least one other which I have forgotten. This film is set in Africa
and in the credits, filming locations were Costa Rica, Tanzania, Kenya and
Los Angeles. The film was made in 1995. There was a whole list of Sound
Editors. I ask the question, why on earth do they select a number of
Australian species for an African jungle scene. Given  a lot of filming was
done in Africa I don't understand why African birds were not used - all I
can say is crazy.

On a bird matter I heard a Lewins Honeyeater make its' slow "toc" call this
morning almost continuously from 0640 - 0727. One session was 23 minutes
with barely a pause between others. I have heard this species do lengthy
sequences in the past, but never this long. Have others had similar
experiences with this species?

David Stewart
David Stewart
P O Box 256