birding-aus

Re distribution of the NHT Journal

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re distribution of the NHT Journal
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:32:22 +1100
I wrote on this line recently that I thought the Spring 1999 Journal of the Natural Heritage Trust, was a worthwhile publication and it was worthy of sending out to people with a bird interest (and others). I first noticed it and picked up a copy at the recruitment section display board at the Environment Australia office on (either 24th or) 31-12-1999. This was my last day employed there. My immediate reaction was that of being quite impressed. So I went to their public relations department and suggested some relevant organisations of people that may be interested in this publication (members of some of the bird groups). The lady I spoke to there was appreciative of my recommendation, but that is all it was. I don't know whether that had any importance. Therefore maybe I am in a way responsible for some of its distribution (I don't know). I believe I did the right thing. For example, I asked them to send several to COG, so that our members could pick one up at our meetings. I did not supply a list of members (I do not have a list), nor would I have done so if I did have a list. I did all this, before having noticed the goofs that have been well pointed out. Yes, there are goofs in it and yes the world could be a better place. It is clearly intended as a PR and information exercise and is not primarily scientific (though that doesn't excuse sloppiness). I don't understand why some people on this line have reacted so negatively to what is a nice document, that at least says something positive about several initiatives in bird conservation. I have not read the whole thing either yet. And yes, I received one in the mail too.