birding-aus

Re: Govt publications

Subject: Re: Govt publications
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:25:12 EST
RE Judy Caughley's statements

Sorry, not eveyone has watched Yes Minister. A common mistake that people make in assuming the world we live in is uniform and everyone does what everyone else does.

I am always miffed by the fact that people can sign off on things without reading what they are sighing off on. Boy, if something were to be sent off with my signiture, I would surely want to know what had been said amongst it.

When I was young I didn't follow step by step everything my mother was putting into the tea for the night, nor did I study intently what was in front of me on the plate. But bugger me, if I found a hair in my tea I did so because I still took some notice.

The statement;
"he should be able to trust his departmental staff to get it right - else they are not worth their salt. After all, they should know more about the subject since they wrote it!" is in some ways laying the blame on staff who probably do their fair share, plus more of his work.

Frankly, and I'm not picking on any Franks here, if a minister signs off on something he is then responsible for it. If he doesn't want to be, well he shouldn't sign off on it.

Hmmm

David