birding-aus

Shoalhaven estuary

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Shoalhaven estuary
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:08:18 +1100
Shoalhaven estuary, 8/2/2000

I spent yesterday at the Shoalhaven estuary near Nowra (NSW).
The forest on Comerong Island was good, with plenty of summer migrants still about, and quite a lot of young birds in evidence.  Of note was the number of Bar-shouldered Doves present, more than I have ever seen there before.
The sand-flats, as the tide went down in the afternoon, were more difficult owing to very strong onshore winds and driven sand, which endangered lenses.  But by setting up in the lee of a mangrove I managed to get first-rate views of a Pectoral Sandpiper. Surprisingly there were no 'sharpies' to be seen, so the Pectoral was loosely consorting with a group of Golden Plover.  I estimate there were in excess of 100 of the latter present, though it was hard to cover the whole area in those conditions.  There were also a few Lesser Sand Plover and Red-capped Dotterel about.
John Clifton-Everest
--
Associate Professor John M. Clifton-Everest
Department of Germanic Studies