birding-aus

Collared I-Pigeon, etc.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Collared I-Pigeon, etc.
From: "Glenn Holmes" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:13:36 +1000
COLLARED IMPERIAL-PIGEON

On Saturday I received a report of this bird in the settlement area of Saibai, if correct only the 2nd Oz record.  Tony Palliser, Mike Carter and I will be trying to confirm details.

RED-RUMPED / STRIATED SWALLOWS

A birding client of mine told me about 4 years ago that Striated Swallows possess a gliding flight pattern recalling crag-martins or woodswallows.  In contrast, the Red-rumped flies more like the Barn Swallow.  My observations of the Dusky Crag-Martin in Thailand confirms that this species certainly has a flight differing from Red-rumped.  Such a distinction is consistent with Tom Tarrant's impression, reported 16/1.

BIRDING TOURISM

My experience as a bird-guide over 33 years indicates to me that birding tourists in Australia will remain a niche market indefinitely.  Glossy brochures with wide circulation will mostly be wasted.

The best birding tourists are usually well informed anyway, made easier these days by the rapid rise of IT.  Casting the net more widely [poor pun] is probably the most effective means of "developing the industry".

However, once perceived as a marketable commodity by entrepreneurs, birding tourism is sure to attract uninformed operators.  The ecotourism market already has plenty of those in the Wet Tropics.  I've been bemused several times by guides instructing tourists about how strangling figs are parasites, or how male bowerbirds attend their nests !!!

Glenn

Glenn Holmes & Associates
PO Box 1246
Atherton Qld 4883