birding-aus

Unnatural Heritage

To: stuart dashper <>
Subject: Unnatural Heritage
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 16:44:24 +1100
Stuart and everyone: use - and don't damn through any
inaccuracies a marvellous gift from the National Heritage Trust
(their 15 page NHT magazine No5 with the text available on
http//www.nht.gov.au, e-mail for subscriptions
"Sarah Mamalai" <>).

Stuart, feel free to label it government propaganda but this is
an opportunity to tell them that WHAT THEY SAY IS WHAT THEY
SHOULD THINK.  Frankly I don't care about the accuracy of the
figures, which presumably include species extirpated by Dingoes.

This newsletter (Natural Heritage No 5 which I am told was
initially sent out last November although I too received mine
only today) is a wonderful 15 page tribute to work done by
conservation volunteers and professionals to save birds.  It
deserves every PR backing we can give it.

It includes stuff on Glossy Blacks, Little Terns, Superb
Parrots......and much more importantly how people have helped
them.

The foreword SIGNED BY FEDERAL MINISTERS also says "Scientists
are warning us that we need to act now, otherwise we could lose
half of Australia's native bird species within the next
century.  Let's work together to make sure that doesn't happen.
If you have an idea for a project that will contribute to
securing the future of Australia's birdlife (or any other
worthwhile environmental activity), we urge you to consider
applying."

I have never ever got such a buzz from a Federal Government
publication: show it to friends and back it however you can.
Write to your federal members of the House and Senate. KEEP THE
DOOR OPEN.

Michael Norris
Hampton, Vic.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"