birding-aus

Red-back Kingfishers

Subject: Red-back Kingfishers
From: "Rev. Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:10:38 +1100
G'day to all,

Further to Barry Maclean's mail about Red-back Kingfishers in NW Victoria.
This year generally seems to have been an exceptionally good year for them
in our region of  Northern Victoria. There are more reports of sightings
than normal. A local birder and Atlasser, John Pople, has had a pair nesting
in a steep bank of an old dam near the property he is on just outside of
Cohuna. Recently he told me that he saw a party of six all sitting together
in the morning sun. It must have been a great sight!  Presumably it was dad,
mum and the kids! John is still not sure if there were four or five young
fledged. I have never seen a pair together, let alone a party of them.

By the way, John has made extensive observation notes of the birds nesting
up to the fledging of the young, and has some photo's of the nest and
habitat. He spent hours observing them. Does anyone know WHO would
appreciate this data, and where it could be put to good use?

Have a nice day,

Chris Coleborn.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"