birding-aus

Red-backed Kingfisher

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Red-backed Kingfisher
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 19:24:16 +1000
A Red-backed Kingfisher has been at a neighbour's place for a couple of
days. Jack Lund phoned me this-afternoon, when he finally got a good look at
it, and we popped around straightaway.

What a beauty! So very pale above the eye, that the black eyestripe stood
out dramatically. But no less dramatic than the fiery red rump, and overall,
not at all likely to be confused with the immature Sacreds that abound here
at present.

Red-backed Kingfishers turn up in the Lockyer Valley from time to time, but
we've never had one on the property at Abberton - not that we've seen here
anyway! We've had them a kilometre or so to the west, and now a kilometre or
so to the east - and Michael Atzeni has seen one on the wires immediately
outside our gate! Surely, our day must come!

But irrespective of whether the bird was on our home patch or not, he was a
very fine example of an inland kingfisher who has wandered out of the arid
zone for the pickings in the greenness of our valley.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056