birding-aus

Koels and parenting

To: Brian Everingham <>
Subject: Koels and parenting
From: morris <>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 14:07:38 +1100
Hi Birders,
Brian Everingham wrote about an adult male Koel being present while the hosts
were feeding the youngster.
Two Christmasses ago I was able to watch a juvenile Koel observing an adult male
Koel feeding on cherry tomatoes in my neighbours garden. The adult male Koel
then started to feed the juvenile even though the Red Wattlebird hosts were
present but rather collecting insects for the juvenile and not feeding it
tomatoes! Both the adult male and female Koel fed the juvenile. Within two days,
the juvenile was taking my neighbour's cherry tomatoes itself. Both it and the
adults would fly to the tomato bush, select and remove a tomato and then fly up
on to the fence to consume at leisure in one large gulp!

Alan Morris
tel 02 43 891390