birding-aus

Re: Painted Button-quail in suburbia

Subject: Re: Painted Button-quail in suburbia
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:13:54 -0800 (PST)
---  wrote:

> the question of the 'aviary escapee  theory': where do you draw the
> line between
> likely aviary escapees and likely wild birds as you move from the
> CBD, through
> inner suburbs, outer suburbs, and eventually native bush beyond the
> suburbs?

Maybe the short answer is that we can't reliably distinguish between
aviary escapers and naturally occurring PBQs in suburbia - unless of
course they are wearing breeders' leg bands.

Which brings me to a related topic .... how common are Red-chested
Button-quail in aviculture?  ..... and does anyone know of any in
Melbourne or nearby?  I'm interested to see what their behaviour is
like in captivity, because if you read HANZAB there's no mention of
them making platelets.  Come to think of it, there's really no
indication that they occur much in non-grassland habitats (BQ platelets
are most evident in leaf litter under trees of some kind).  I've
certainly seen RCBQs making platelets at Gunbower Island in Victoria -
where at a few locations they outnumber PBQs - and in 'atypical'
woodland habitat.

L.

=====
Lawrie Conole