birding-aus

Greetings from sunny Dubbo

To: "" <>
Subject: Greetings from sunny Dubbo
From: David Geering <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:53:38 +1100
Well I have been in Dubbo a week now and not missing those "icy winds"
mentioned by Allan Benson one little bit.  Despite moving into a relatively
new suburban area once occupied by nought but sheep the birds visiting my
yard in week one have shown promise.  Yellow-rumped Thornbills and Superb
Fairy-wrens are almost constant residents along with Willie Wagtails,
magpies and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters.  The latter are feeding newly fledged
young.  Little Friarbirds pop in regularly as do Crested Pigeon and Galah.
Quite a few other species have passed through, yesterday have Double-barred
Finch.  Several times a few swifts have drifted over but only to disappear
when the binoculars are produced.  I did have needletails over the town
centre but suspect these may have been fork-tails.

While sitting on the banks of the Macquarie River on the outskirts of town
yesterday watching my five year old daughter make mud balls I heard some
very familiar calls and the saw about 20 Plum-headed Finches.  This place
has some promise.  Looking forward to getting my moving boxes unpacked so
that I can get out and explore a little more.

David Geering

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"