birding-aus

Griffith Island, Port Fairy

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Griffith Island, Port Fairy
From: "Richard Dilena" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:08:25 +1100
Yesterday saw the family head off down to Port Fairy to see the Southern
Elephant Seal, and the Fiordland Penguin - both big thrills not only for me,
but also for family.  My eldest daughter was amazed that the penguin
travelled so far when compared to its size.  And daughter number 2 thought
the seal was "big"!.  Although keeping my children at some distance from
both, it still allowed them the chance to see first hand some rare visitors,
and to appreciate how far these creatures travel.  Lunch was at Port Fairy,
followed by a walk around Griffith Island. Whilst an enjoyable, I have to
admit being taken aback by the amount of weeds on the island.  Apart from
some rather large stands of Caprosma, there was also Periwinkle, Kikuyu, and
Sea Spurge encroaching on the Mutton Bird rookery.  Also, fox scats were
seen, along with 15 Mutton Bird carcasses just along the track.  Does anyone
know of plans to control these pests?
Cheers
Richard Dilena
Ocean Grove