birding-aus

Red-rumped Swallow Identification

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Red-rumped Swallow Identification
From: Tony Palliser <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:09:04 +1100
A key to the separation of Red-rumped Swallow from Striated Swallow in Australia.

If any one is interested I have prepared a word document that provides a key to the separation of Red-rumped Swallow from Striated Swallow here in Australia.  This work has been kindly donated by Mike Carter and is presented in the form of an easy to use table which applies to distinctions between the migrant race of Red-rumped Swallow from eastern Asia H. daurica japonica and the race of Striated Swallow resident immediately to our north in Borneo, Sumatra, Java, Wallacea, The Philippines and Taiwan, H. striolata striolata.  The justification for these conclusions will be presented in an upcoming paper.  They do not apply to all races of Red-rumped or all populations of Striated - just those in our region during the five months November to March when most occur in Australia.  Given the number of records of late I thought some of you may be interested in an advance copy.

If you would like to receive a copy by email as a MS-Word document please let me know by replying to the following email address:

Best Regards
Tony