birding-aus

Little Bittern and Painted Button-quail

Subject: Little Bittern and Painted Button-quail
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:25:04 +1100
 wrote:

> On another matter, folks may be interested in a roadkill Painted
> Button-quail I
> found in an alleyway in inner urban Richmond (Victoria) on Tuesday
> 11/1/00.  It
> was in one of the most heavily urbanised parts of Melbourne, about a
> kilometre
> from the Yarra River, along which is the only vegetation for miles
> which even
> remotely resembles typical Painted Button-quail habitat.  I sent it to
> the
> Museum of Victoria, but it was in pretty poor shape.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul Peake.

Paul's Painted Button-Quail sounds a bit like the male Red-capped Robin
I found in Greville St Prahran a few years back - also dead, and
unfortunately rather high. I saw it lying on the road, close to the
gutter, as I returned to my car from visiting Andrew Isles' bookshop.
Nearby was some dry grass or hay, not of any kinds I know in the
Melbourne region. I assume the bird was killed up in the bush, lodged
with the grassy stuff on bumper or bullbar, and that the driver cleaned
up the car or truck once parked in the city. I told Museum of Victoria
about it. It was amazingly conspicuous lying on the road - at first I
thought it was a bit of Christmas decoration or one of the artificial
birds used by window-dressers.
  Anthea Fleming

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"