birding-aus

RE: White Cedars

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Atriplex" <>
Subject: RE: White Cedars
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:52:31 +1000
Hello Anne

Responding to your observation that White Cedars self-propagate like mad,
and you're surprised we have to put them in in this area.

Our 'top paddock' as we call it, was grazed for years, and we've spent the
last decade or so rehabilitating it.  All up, we've put in getting on for
1200 trees in the last ten months in two previously grazed areas, to link
the bush we have near the house with the corridor of bush that runs along
the margins of Lockyer Creek.

We've gone for very local endemics, ie the original vegetation not just of
the Lockyer Valley, but specifically of this alleuvial part of the valley.
Everything has been planted as randomly as it is possible to engineer , if
that isn't a contradiction in terms, with no rows or other lining up, and a
thorough and random mix of around thirty species. I'm working on the
principle that if I can mulch and water these plants for maybe six months, I
should then be able to withdraw all support, leave them to fight it out, and
relocate all the irrigation and energy on the next phase.

The 'top paddock' venture is the second phase of several, but the plan seems
to be working with the first
phase which we planted last March. We put around 460 tubes in close to the
creek, and already the casuarinas are five and six feet high, some of the
eucalypts are even bigger, and the White Cedars are around a metre or so.
We've also included fair numbers of Harpullias (Tulipwoods), Mallotus
(Kamala), Davidson's Plum, various Ficus, Quandongs, Alphatonia, and if I
don't stop now I'll just go on and give you the full list!  I don't think
we've lost more than 10% from stage one to date - and now they're truly on
their own and what will be will be.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056