birding-aus

Seasick?

Subject: Seasick?
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:56:48 +1000
Well, I have to admit to the odd little biley burp once or twice, but after
a number of sea birding trips I've found THE only solution FOR MYSELF has
been to eat very little ( of anything) the day before, least of all the
evening before, skip brekky on the day, drink only water when the Kwells
get you dry, get quite hungry and eat like a horse once returned to land.
 On some of the boat trips I've taken, especially on some of those cray
boats out of Robe in SA, there hasn't been a loo on board, so not eating
has definite advantages for both ends of one's anatomy. I'm also certain
that for me, eating, give or take a day or two, is quite habitual, and so a
day of fasting does absolutely no harm and may even serve to purge the
plumbing in a beneficial way.
 On those early occasions when I did in fact have a bit of a chunder I
found that once emptied out I was able to bird on regardless - and as
someone somewhere in this thread said, when you are not looking at birds,
watch the horizon, keep away from diesel fumes, and keep making those
affirmations that you do in fact feel fine. It's mind over matter, not
matter over the side. ( I hope!)
Now, does anyone have Mike Carter's phone number?, I need to book a
Portland trip.

Tony.  mxpp.

  Tony Russell,
  Adelaide, South Australia
  phone : 08 8337 5959  , o/s 61 8 8337 5959
  e-mail:
  There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?