birding-aus

Re: birding-aus MID-NORTH NSW COAST - 12TH TO 14TH JANUARY 2000

To: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus MID-NORTH NSW COAST - 12TH TO 14TH JANUARY 2000
From: Harvey Perkins <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:44:36 +1100
Edwin, on Fri 14.1.00 you wrote:

>We also saw an unusal Wren on  the property, being black with bluish
>cheeks and >throat and red shoulders and  back, which appeared to be a
>hybrid between a >Red-backed and Variegated Wren.  Just a little further
>up the road were some >pure breed Red-backed  Wrens.

This reminded me of an observation I made on 21 November 1998 on a property
just outside of Clarence Town, about 30 km NW of Newcastle (about 100km to
the south of Wauchope??? - I don't have any maps with me).

I didn't have optimal views unfortunately. I quote from my trip report I
made at the time:

There was also a family of Superb Fairy-wrens living in the bushes and
creepers around the water tanks, but amongst them I kept seeing a very
peculiar looking individual.  The notes I made on my Micro-cassette
recorder at the time, or rather in the car while leaving "Cottonwoods" a
few minutes later, are as follows:

"It looked like it must have been a male - it certainly wasn't just a plain
all over dull sort of colour - it had no blue on it, but it had rufous
edges around the nape of the neck and on the elbows of the wing, but there
was no blue across the mantle, it was just a pale buff sort of colour. The
rufousness in the brown certainly wasn't like a Superb Fairy-wren, maybe
more like a Variegated but I didn't see any other Variegateds; Mary also
thought she caught a glimpse of a Red-backed Fairy-wren which must have
been wrong but maybe it was a flash of a Variegated that might have been
mixed in there - I guess there's even a possibility of hybrids... At the
moment it's still a mystery"

At the time I thought Red-backed Fairy-wrens could be ruled out because
they would be out of normal range, but maybe this is not the case and Mary
is vindicated in her comment!

Still very interesting.

Cheers,

Harvey

Dr Harvey D. Perkins                    ::  Editor,                     :
Divn Biochemistry & Molecular Biology   ::  Canberra Bird Notes,        :
Faculty of Science                      ::  Journal of the Canberra     :
Australian National University          ::  Ornithologists Group (COG)  :
Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia           ::  42 Summerland Circuit,      :
ph: (02) 6249 2693; fax:(02) 6249 0313  ::  Kambah, ACT 2902            :
email:         ::  Ph: (02) 6231 8209          :

quotes)