birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Atlas software

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Atlas software
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:03:08 +1100
I have been using the BA Atlas software for about 12 months and to my
knowledge have had no real problems, however for some time now I have been
thinking I should get on to Geoff Barrett,  originally when I e-mailed a
batch of surveys I received an e-mail acknowledgement, but I have not had a
reply to the last 2 batches sent in. My big gripe has been the limit [40
species ] that you can get on one survey. What we do is put 40 on the first
survey and then load up all the preliminary bits, Date, Co-ordinates etc
and put the remaining species on the second survey. This is time consuming
and a bit messy, but it was the only way around it. BA Atlas staff did say
to me to put it onto manual forms until they had got a new software program
up and running, but for my own records I want it on computer, and I feel it
is more convenient that fiddling around with forms as well as cheaper to
send off. But this new software has been so long coming I am not holding my
breath! One other 'improvement' would be to have a survey number box and
provision for a survey name in any update. This is needed to be able to
refer back to a specific site with our own hard copies. As Geoff has
replied to you via birding-aus I will also send this on to him, I have been
meaning to get in touch with him anyway for a long time now.

John & Ruth Walter,
PO Box180,
Pittsworth,
Queensland,