birding-aus

birding-aus Trip Report Gloucester Tops

Subject: birding-aus Trip Report Gloucester Tops
From: Allan Benson <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:33:09 +1100
My brother, Rob and our families had a very pleasant weekend camping at
Gloucester Tops National Park(about 3 1/2 hours north of Sydney).
National Parks are now providing gas barbecues so this is now a well
appointed, picturesque place to camp.

Target birds for the weekend Rufous Scrubbird and Olive Whistler but
despite the very best info- no success. We had the Olive Whistler
singing 15 metres away in the under storey of the rainforest/antartic
beech forest. The use of tapes, squeaking and pishing  failed to move
the bird and attempts at a closer inspection were foiled by an attack of
a very vicious wait-a-while vine.

Peter Ekert from Birds Australia is surveying the Rufous Scrubbird and
has placed numbered starposts every 400 metres from the Sharpes Creek
track. The Olive  Whistler was at post 19. We listened and taped at
every spot where the scrubbird had been heard in recent times but got
absolutely no response.

Best bird for the weekend was a male Paradise Riflebird (which must be
getting close to the southern end of its range). Other highlights
included Superb Lyrebird, Flame Robin, Wonga Pigeon and Russet-tailed
Thrush.

No birds were seen spotlighting but there was small compensation with
four Greater Gliders. A family of Brush-tailed Possum had be forcibly
evicted from the campsite.

The culvert at Keperit Rd is still out but the new pipes are there so it
may be fixed soon.

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia

quotes)