birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Cooks and Pycroft Petrel

To: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Cooks and Pycroft Petrel
From: Tony Palliser <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:19:43 +1100
Edwin,
Western Birds Volume 27, Number 2, 1996
Identification at sea of Cook's, DeFilippi's and Pycroft's Petrel by Steve N.G. Howell, Sophie Webb and Larry Spear is the only article I have to hand.  I can photocopy one for you if you wish.  PS We met a Hadoram Shirihai on a recent trip to NZ and he has superb photos of both in flight.

Problem with these birds are that you have to be extremely close to see the collar marks (often referred to as the ear surrounds) etc.  Smaller Pterodroma such as these away from the breeding grounds tend to be very fast and distant in my experience - and to further complicate there may be considerable variation between individuals.  These means that positive identification of Cook's Petrel in Australia is a tough call indeed.

All the best
Tony