birding-aus

birding-aus Birds in Goonoo State Forest

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Birds in Goonoo State Forest
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:28:45 +1100
G'day!

A couple of hours with Tim Hosking in the Goonoo State Forest near Dubbo NSW yesterday morning provided a nice mix of rare, vulnerable and declining species: Square-tailed Kite (yes, it WAS, honest), a pair of Glossy Black-Cockatoo, small flock of Turquoise Parrot, Papa Malleefowl raking over his mound, Brown Treecreeper, Eastern Yellow Robin, Rufous Whistler, White-browed Babbler, Dusky Woodswallow and a batch of other delightful woodland birds.

Sadly, we failed to find Grey-crowned Babbler, Jacky Winter, Speckled Warbler, Red-capped Robin, Hooded Robin, Varied Sitella, Restless Flycatcher or Crested Shrike-tit - although these birds were once found there quite reliably.  As woodland birds continue to decline throughout the sheep-wheat belt we are taking particular notice of what we DON'T see.  Sometimes failing to find what ought to be there is as important as recording actual sightings.

Judie Peet