birding-aus

Re: birding-aus morphological specimens

To: Alexandra Appleman <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus morphological specimens
From: (Danny Rogers)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:56:42 +1100 (EST)
Hi Alexandra,

You'll probably get more helpful responses than this one on how to get birds
sent to the Qld museum. But my Broome experience is that this shouldn't be
difficult to arrange. Broome Bird Observatory gets a lots of dead birds
handed in - roadkills from the public and so on - and when the freezer is
getting full, they just get air-freighted down to the WA Museum in Perth
(with a phone call or two to co-ordinate drop-off and pick-up). The WA
Museum collects the bird at the airport and pays the bills (including
packaging), and they are happy to do so, as it's a much cheaper way for them
to obtain Broome specimens than making thier own collecting trips. They like
to be sent everything, including species common around Perth. I think
they've arranged a permit for BBO to hold birds in the short term, and that
might be necessary for frieghting the birds down. The rules probably differ
from state to state.

Hopefully the Qld Museum will be equally helpful. I've mislaid the contact
details, but I know that Andrew Amey is the new Vertebrate collection
manager and is probably the person to contact if you want to phone them up.

Cheers, Danny

At 12:06 PM 12/01/00 +1100, Alexandra Appleman wrote:

>>While we're on this can I make a plug for people to take fresh specimens
>in to
>>their local museum.  The days of collecting/shooting birds for museum
>>collections
>>are largely over but road/window/cat/ etc kills can make valuable
>>contributions to
>>the collections.
>>
>In Townsville I frequently come across dead birds - usually ants get there
>first which makes collecting an exacting, as does the smell of anything
>that dies in the tropics.  The main problem is I have nowhere to take them;
>the Museum used to accept them but had no where to store them when the
>museum building was extensively refurbished and the University, which
>passed draws full of specimens onto the museum, seems reluctant to take on
>any more.
>
>Which leaves other Universities and museums.  How do I get refrigerated
>specimens down to Brisbane?  If using airfreight is there a mechanism in
>place for someone to meet the plane in or are couriers to be used? [I am
>only talking about species that are not common SEQ naturally] and does the
>Queensland Museum have a budget to help defray freight costs?
>
>Cheers
>
>Alex Appleman
>Townsville
>

>To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
>Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
>quotes)

quotes)