birding-aus

birding-aus Lord Howe Island birds

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Lord Howe Island birds
From: "richard jordan" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:35:33 +1100
Hello all,

A week on Lord Howe Island over the New Year yielded some good birds.

Most interesting was a Whiskered Tern, for which I can find no previous record.
I picked up a dead specimen on 29/12/99 on the golf course - seemed to have
been dead for a week or two from the state of decomposition. Mr Clive Wilson
reported to me that the bird had been seen alive around the golf course from
around 3 weeks up to 2 weeks before I found the dead bird. The report was
from Mr Bill Retmock of Mary Challis Cottages.

Other birds included agroup of 6 tattlers, 2 of which I believe to have been
'Wandering', with the others indeterminate.
Also 1 Goldfinch (near the power station)
1 Shining Bronze-Cuckoo (at North Bay)
1 Lesser Sand Plover (near the swampy ground at the eastern end of the airstrip)
3 Great Cormorants - on the wreck at North Bay. One bird was an immature, but
seemed paler on breast/belly than young birds I have seen here (with a broad
speckly-brown band across the upper breast). Are immature NZ birds like this?

There were still no Starlings around - they seem now to have definitely disappeared
from the island.

One interesting point to note is that the Woodhens have discovered a rich treasure-trove
of food on the golf course. They are ripping up large areas of grass on fairways and
short rough with their bills, and the golfers will soon be getting very twitchy I think.
Especially when the birds move to the greens! One golfing couple saw 10 birds in the open
during a 9-hole circuit. I saw seven myself on a short visit.

Richard

Richard Jordan
Emu Tours, PO Box 4, Jamberoo, NSW 2533, Australia

www.ozemail.com.au/~emutours/