birding-aus

birding-aus rainbow lorikeets vs pigeons

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus rainbow lorikeets vs pigeons
From: "Damian Hackett" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:22:54 +1100
Hi Michael, Philip and others,

Despite their seemingly meek disposition, pigeons can be surprisingly aggressive towards other bird species.  I too have witnessed the wrath of pigeons. On several occasions, I've seen Wompoo Fruit-doves vigilantly defending fruiting food trees against Green Catbirds and Regent Bowerbirds.  Interestingly, they only appear to behave this way at times of the year when food is most scarce.

Regards

Damian Hackett