birding-aus

birding-aus Swifts

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Swifts
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:31:53 +1000
At the risk of  being controversial, I can't see how David James can
tell someone that there square tailed white rumped swifts were certainly
not Little Swifts and were therefore Fork-tails in moult. This is a
possibility certainly, maybe even likely, but certainly? I don't think
so.
I suspect Little Swift is often overlooked or misidentified and may be
much more regular than realised. I saw one in Dec 98 and another in Jan
99, plus various probables that were not seen well enough to be sure.
Confusion with White-rumped Swiftlet is possible on distant or poor
views, but given a good look they should be easy enough to tell.  The
jizz is quite different from Fork-tails, moulting or not........
Keep a look out for them, the stormy weather is bringing lots of swifts
through.
Phil Gregory

quotes)