birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Mammals (branch from Spring Migrants)

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Mammals (branch from Spring Migrants)
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 22:23:18 +1100
A return to an off-topic topic.

On 9/10/99 I wrote to the list to say I had some information
(including web site references) about Rakalis (also known as
Australian Water Rats), raised the idea of a wildlife mailing
list, similar to Birding-Aus and promised to summarise the
response.

Over the next week I had 18 replies, 10 expressing interest in a
(free) wildlife life list. But some saw difficulties, eg. a need
to split it between different orders of fauna and a prospect of
the content of Birding-Aus becoming narrower.  None of those who
replied mentioned any existing facility of this sort and none
objected to references to animals other than birds on
Birding-Aus (although it was recognised that some subscribers
were sometimes annoyed by diversions).

For me that was not enough to suggest it would be worth the
effort of setting up a mailing list or a news group. But
"someone else" might like to give it a go.

So I hope that for a while others (Russell especially !) will
forgive a few of us if we continue to intrude occasionally with
bits about non-avian  wildlife.

Incidentally the presence of rakali at Ricketts Point helped to
strengthen the case for dog controls there, which will primarily
benefit the birds.

Michael Norris
(Bayside) Friends of Native Wildlife

PS. I'll be sending the information people asked for "soon".

quotes)