birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Jacky Winter

Subject: Re: birding-aus Jacky Winter
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:01:03 +1100
While looking up a few books to try and find more information on this
charming name for a charming bird, I notice that it is said to disperse to
more open country during autumn and winter. Perhaps its increased
visibility at this time is a clue to the name "Winter".

The NPI volume "Robins and Flycatchers of Australia" lists no less than 10
alternative names for this species, including "Lesser Fascinating Bird" -
apparently a reference to its occasional habit of hovering above the ground
to search for prey (fascinating meaning here to "transfix and hold
spellbound"), with the Restless Flycatcher having the honour of being the
"Fascinating Bird".

Just thought that was interesting.

Carol

>At 11:54 5/01/2000 +1100, you wrote:
>>Does anyone know the etymology of Jacky Winter? Is it named after Mr Jacky
>>Winter? Or is the 'Jacky' part named after someone and the 'Winter' some
>>reference to season? Or is it some 19th century colloquialism? And thus, if
>>one was so silly as to only use capitals for the common names of birds,
>>except where those common names comprised otherwise capitalised words, does
>>one capitalise Jacky, Winter, both or neither?
>>

>>Sean Pywell.
>>
>Hi Sean
>
>J.D. MacDonald published a little known book in about 1987, entitled
>"The illustrated dictionary of Australian Birds by Common Name" which
>gives this sort of info.
>
>For Jacky Winter, he states:
>
>"Given from early days 'jacky', possibly from call note resembling
>'jacky-jacky'
>but 'winter' is obscure; Vigors and Horsfield recorded in 1827 that 'Mr Caley
>informs us that the boys of the colony call it Winter, the reason for which
>he does
>not give'"
>
>That all
>
>Cheers