birding-aus

birding-aus RFI: Lewin's Rail & Purple-crowned Lorikeet

Subject: birding-aus RFI: Lewin's Rail & Purple-crowned Lorikeet
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:27:29 +1000

Happy 2000 and good birding to all.

I am spending next Sunday morning with a visiting birder from Queensland who is
interested in seeing (among other things) Lewin's Rail and Purple-crowned
Lorikeet.  Need to be a bit lucky to get the Rail, I thought, but no worries,
I'll just check the birding aus archives and find some likely spots.  Sadly,
however, the archive page isn't working at the moment. So...

Can anyone advise me whether the crake/rail stretch of Little River, downstream
of the ford, in the Western Treatment Complex, is known to carry Lewin's Rail as
well as other species?  Are there any other spots on WTC or in the western
suburbs area (eg Point Cook, Truganina Swamp) which would be worth checking for
Lewin's Rail?

I seem to recall, a year or so ago, someone reporting Purple-crowned Lorikeets
in numbers (and possibly breeding?) in a railway station carpark in the Altona
area.  Can anyone bring me up to date on this one - which station it was, and
whether the birds are likely still to be there, or are there other spots in the
area which would be worth looking at?

Any advice will be gratefully received  By the way, my first bird for 2000 was
Pacific Gull, a pair of which shared the beach with a few hardy souls who
watched through the rain as the sun rose on the new year at Eastern View (about
10 km north-east of Lorne, on Victoria's Surf Coast).  The Tawny Frogmouth who
perched overhead inquisitively as we gathered around the campfire on New Year's
Eve unfortunately took himself off into the darkness a few minutes before
midnight.

Regards,

     Jack

quotes)