birding-aus

birding-aus Mallards etc.

Subject: birding-aus Mallards etc.
From: "Graham&Jenny Beal" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 23:23:20 EST
Dear Birding-Aussers
Seasons Greetings to All
Sorry I did my last message in CAPITOLS,I was politely advised by one Lady that this similar to SHOUTING! I hope I did'nt offend to many people. With all this talk of needletails lately I would like to report my first for the season (right on cue) here in the Dandenongs,east of Melbourne.I saw 2 yesterday afternoon and about 20 today going south. It is starting to feel like summer here with the stubble quail calling in the long grass.
Mallards
At a local market recently I was surprised to see a "purveyor of poultry" etc. with mallards for sale.When I told him that I thought it was illegal to keep this species I was told basically that this was no longer the case as it was thought that they were'nt a threat to black duck here as they are in N.Z.
Has anyone have anymore info. on this ?
Experiences
One of my nicest experiences for 1999 was while dropping of a dead lyrebird at the B.O.C.A.,H.Q.,that I was able to let a blind Gentleman touch the bird .He was fascinated by the huge claws and never thought he would come across a lyrebird in Nunawading!
All the best, Graham Beal