birding-aus

birding-aus Christmas gift

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Christmas gift
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 14:49:31 +1100
Hi All, from Beerwah, Sunshine Coast, Qld,

This morning's walk was a really special Christmas gift, as if all the
birds knew it was a morning a bit different from usual.

Two White-faced Herons were building a nest in a tall eucalypt. Very talkative.

Six Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos went over with barely a whisper, and
about a minute later followed a single individual, bellowing, "Where are
you? Don't leave me. I can't find you!"

A Buff-banded Rail was foraging in a ditch, with two young in tow.

A single Dollarbird was back in the "Dollarbird tree" after a break of two
seasons.

A Bush Hen was calling vigorously in thick scrub.

And I saw my first Needletails of the season over Beerwah (Mike), 25 of
them. But others have already seen them here this season.

And I damned well didn't take my binos.

And as I write there is a hell of a stoush going on among about eight King
Parrots. It's been going for about half an hour, and I can't work out the
intricacies of the problem. I left them to it. But it sounds like a
typical, serious Christmas family rift.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening