birding-aus

birding-aus A FEW HOURS IN THE CAPERTEE VALLEY,NSW - 19/12/99

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus A FEW HOURS IN THE CAPERTEE VALLEY,NSW - 19/12/99
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:51:09 +1100

No more than 4 and ½ hours was spent today in the Capertee Valley (about 2 and ½ hours north-west of Sydney), nonetheless, some very productive birding was had by myself, David Koffel and Dean Portelli. Some of the highlights of the day were excellent views of about 4 Painted Honeyeaters and 2-3 Black-eared Cuckoos. Both male and female Painted Honeyeaters were seen. The female bird being slightly browner in colour on the back, less distinct white-ear patch and lacking the narrow black streaks on the flanks found on the male. A male was also seen performing a spectacular display flight, towering 45 degrees high in the air, with wings out-stretched and calling, then plunging down. They were often harassed away, by the more common White-plumed Honeyeater. Also sharing the feast of fruiting Mistletoe with the Painted Honeyeaters, were numbers of Mistletoebirds with one female feeding downy fledged young. In the same area, atleast 2 (possibly 3) Black-eared Cuckoos were seen calling quite loudly in Eucalypts or moving quite low from shrub to shrub in the pursuit of nesting Speckled Warblers which were also found in the area. A Black-chinned Honeyeaters also made it presence due to the number of flowering Eucalypts in bloom. A nice male Diamond Firetail made itself conspicuous as it displaying with and without a grass stem on top of a dead tree and attracted a few other Firetails.

In another part of the valley, at "Rockview" property, we found a few Plum-headed Finches (both male and females were seen aswell as one plain juvenile bird), 5 Southern Whitefaces, a male Hooded Robin, Little Lorikeets and a Striped Honeyeater being harassed by White-plumed Honeyeaters. On one of the dams, we saw Peaceful Doves, White-plumed Honeyeaters, both Fairy and Tree Martins aswell as a Diamond Firetail come to drink.

On our way out of the valley, we stopped briefly beside one of the creeks, and saw an adult White-plumed Honeyeater feed 2 very young chicks in a nest suspended on a branch of a Casuarina (Riveroak).

Edwin