birding-aus

birding-aus Cheetham wetlands..

Subject: birding-aus Cheetham wetlands..
From: "Michael Ramsey" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 16:42:18 EST
Greetings all,

I spent the good part of this morning (19/12) observing around the Cheetham wetlands which are adjacent to the Point Cook Coastal Park, on the western side of Port Phillip Bay. Access to the wetlands is from a carpark near the Point Cook homestead and from there along track to an observation tower. Most of the wetlands are surrounded by saltmarh and chenopod scrub so they fairly easy to move about. Apart from a few showers and strong winds at times I had a reasonably good day observing a sighted 55 species.

I came here mainly to see waders of which I saw Red-necked Stints (hundereds), Sharp-tailed, Marsh and Curlew Sandpipers, Greenshank, Red-caped Plover and Balck-winged Stilts. In the past I have observed Banded Stilts here but none were evident on this outing.

Other sightings of interest included a Striated Fieldwren in chenopod scrub, unusual I believe being close to Melbourne. Brown Quail in bracken patches and a Singing Honeyeater. I also may have observed a White-winged Black Tern but I am not 100% sure as there were plenty of Whiskered Terns about and the bird may have been an immature of non-breeding Whiskered Tern.

At Spectacle Lake nearby in Pt Cook Coastal park I observed a Bkack-tailed Native-hen. I have seen these birds here now on a regular basis for 4 years, a group may be resident there. A few waders were also seen here as well.

On the way home I stopped by Westgate Park, under Westgate bridge and observed the White Ibis rookery there. At the time there was approx. 400 birds nesting on the small islands in the freshwater lake. A lone Red-necked Stint was also observed here as well as breeding Chestnut Teal and European Greenfinch.

Following is a list of birds observed at the Cheetham wetlands.

Cheers
M.Ramsey, Parkville, Vic.

Birds recorded Cheetham wetlands, 19/12/99, 08:00-11:25.

Brown Quail
Black Swan
Australian Shelduck
Pacific Black Duck