birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Talons and Borroloola

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Talons and Borroloola
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 99 10:12:13 +0930
I've seen falcons throw themselves on their back to defend themselves.
One, a semi-tame, one-winged Brown used to do this whenever our dog
attempted to steal food from his beak.  At the same time he would fasten
his talons into the dog's chest fur and scream.

Last Sunday my son Rowan and I set off for Borroloola, a round trip from
Darwin, of 2000 kms.  It was a fishing and birding expedition but I also
wanted to talk with tour service providers and a tourism representative
to see whether I could raise local interest in birdwatching.  That part
of it was a complete flop.

Although some accommodation people complained to me about the lack of
tourism no one saw birdwatching as particularly important, not compared
with fishing.  Young Rowan attempted to raise my status by telling the
young man behind the bar at the Heartbreak Hotel (100 kms before
Borroloola) that I knew Kate Fisher.  I was really grateful for his
support - such attitudes are rare I believe, among teenage sons.  But it
made no difference.

At one time someone suggested that birdwatchers should carry cards
identifying themselves as such.  I'm starting to think more and more that
this is a good idea.  But what about something more obvious, such as a
bird T-shirt with a selection of Aussie birds on the front and 'I'm a
birdwatcher and I spend money' or something similar on the back, or
window shades similarly emblazoned?
Denise Goodfellow

Denise Goodfellow (Lawungkurr Maralngurra)
Ph/Fax 61 8 89 818492
PO Box 39373 Winnellie NT 0821, AUSTRALIA

or Parap Bookshop, Parap NT 0821, AUSTRALIA
Ph 08 89813922

Earthfoot, American Ecotravel
www.earthfoot.org/lit_zone/ausubndx.htm
www.earthfoot.org/places/au002.htm