birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Wandering Tattler

Subject: Re: birding-aus Wandering Tattler
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 06:39:52 +1000
G'day Alan,
Thanks for your details about the Tattler sighting, did anyone get any photos
of the bird? Just a note of caution, without doubting the veracity of your
sighting, have a look at the image of the Tattler pictured on my Wader
photo-album on

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=54620&a=448095

There has been some discussion amongst birders here on this and similar birds
at Manly Marina recently, it does have features that are strongly reminiscent
of Wandering, and some have identified it as this species, although I am
inclined to still go for Grey-tailed, (note the bill-colour) It was in the
presence of Grey-tailed and it is doubtful whether suitable habitat exists
nearby for Wandering. I certainly didn't hear the characteristic call of
Wandering whilst filming this one.
Your comments on this would be appreciated,
Regards,
Tom Tarrant
Dayboro, Qld

Alan Stuart wrote:

> While a group of us were surveying waders in the Hunter River estuary
> today, we found one Wandering Tattler.   Phil Straw was with us and it was
> his eagle eye that first picked it out.  It was just 50m or so north of the
> Stockton Bridge, where Fullerton Cove starts.
>
> When first seen it was with a small number of Grey-tailed Tattler and we
> were able to watch it for quite some time and to make good comparisons
> between the two species.  The folded wings clearly extended beyond the end
> of the tail, and the eye stripe was shorter.  Then they all flew and joined
> a much larger group of G-t T.  It probably would be hard to pick it out in
> such a crowd, but it's worth looking out for if anyone else happens to be
> in the Newcastle area.
>
> Also, on Ash Island which is further upstream in the estuary, there was a
> pair of Black-necked Stork.  These were feeding in the pond closest to the
> railway line.
>
> Alan Stuart
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)